Sunday's result: FAU 74, South Alabama 64
Nothing regular about it
FAU ties a school record with its 21st victory of the season by defeating South Alabama in the last regular-season game of the year.
Originally published on
Florida Atlantic coach Mike Jarvis didn’t want to head into the Sun Belt Conference tournament on a losing streak.
Thanks to a 74-64 victory vs. South Alabama in Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, the Owls will be heading to Hot Springs, Ark. on a hot streak.
The victory was FAU’s third in a row, allowing the Owls (21-9, 13-03) to tie a school record for victories in a season.
“We have 21 wins and are 13-3 in the league,” said FAU coach Mike Jarvis. “I don’t know if there is any coach in the country who wouldn’t be happy with that.”
The victory didn’t come easy.
The Owls led by as many as 12 points in the second half before the Jaguars cut the margin to 52-51 with eight minutes remaining. However, the Owls answered with an 8-0 run and made their free throws down the stretch to bring the regular season to a close on a high note.
“They call it a trap game ,” Jarvis said. “You’ve got to travel and you’ve already clinched the league. It’s not easy, but we won. We have 21 wins and that’s something to be proud about.”
FAU, the No. 1 seed in the East Division, already had earned a first-round bye in the Sun Belt Tournament which begins Saturday.
Game-Changer: South Alabama had cut a 12-point lead to 52-51 when Brett Royster was fouled and made the basket. Royster missed the free-throw but Greg Gantt grabbed the rebound and put it back, giving the Owls four points on the trip as they went up 56-51.
- That late-season slump is long forgotten as the Owls are clicking heading into the conference tourney.
- The strategy to bring Alex Tucker off the bench is working well. Tucker had 12 points on 4-of-4 shooting from the field.
- The season is far from over, but already it is one to remember as this program is indeed on the rise.
- 1 – Number of seasons when the Owls won 21 games. In the second year of the program, FAU was 21-7 as a Division II member.
- 27 - Points off the bench for FAU
- 15 – Assists on FAU’s 31 field goals. Tucker led the team with seven
FAU will face either Troy, UALR or North Texas in the quarterfinals of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament in Hot Springs, Ark.