FAU senior guard Greg Gantt has led the Owls in scoring the last three seasons. (Photo courtesy of Owl Pix)
One and one
With a game against Mississippi State on Tuesday, Florida Atlantic doesn't have long to dwell on its 80-56 season-opening loss at No. 11 North Carolina.
Originally published on
Florida Atlantic didn't play well enough to beat No. 11 North Carolina on Sunday.
A 80-56 loss to the Tar Heels did provide some things for the Owls to build on, however.
"We're going to be better," Owls coach Mike Jarvis said after losing to the Tar Heels. "Today is one of those days. Hopefully you learn something from it. We can learn something from this game, play a little bit better in the next one, then it's worth a try."
The Owls get their chance to show what they learned quickly when they face Mississippi State (0-1) at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Starkville, Miss.
FAU (0-1) did play well against North Carolina in some stretches and was within 48-38 with 14 minutes to play in the game, before the Tar Heels pulled away for an easy victory.
"We'll take out the good clips and the things we did well," Jarvis said. "We didn't do enough good things. We'll take out the things we did well and show them that to let them know that if they can do that against them (North Carolina) then they can do that against more people."
The Owls received some good news on Monday when freshman forward Chris Bryant was cleared to play by the NCAA, a source told Owl Access. Bryant is expected to join the team in Starkville, Miss.
Need to Knows: Owls @ Bulldogs
FAU (0-1, 0-0 Sun Belt Conference)
at Mississippi State (0-1, 0-0 SEC)
- When: Tuesday, 8 p.m.
- Where: Humphrey Coliseum, Starkville, Miss.
- Radio: 760-AM
- Streaming audio: FAUSports.com, ESPN760.com
- About the Owls: The Owls are 1-1 all-time vs. Mississippi State, including one of the biggest victories in school history when FAU defeated MSU 61-59 on Nov. 30, 2010. ...FAU has lost its last six games dating back to last season. ...G Stefan Moody, G Cavon Baker, G Jackson Trapp and F DeVonte Thornton all made their debuts against the Tar Heels.
- About the Bulldogs: Mississippi State lost to Troy, also a member of the Sun Belt, 56-53 Friday in Rick Ray's first game as coach of the Bulldogs. ...The Bulldogs were outrebounded by Troy 34-33. ...Starting F Roquez Johnson did not play vs. the Trojans due to a concussion. Without Johnson, MSU was down to seven scholarship players.
- Projected Starting Lineups
Coach: Mike Jarvis
G Stefan Moody 5-10 Fr. (8.0 ppg)
G Pablo Bertone 6-2 Jr. (9.0 ppg)
G Greg Gantt 6-2 Sr. (18.0 ppg)
F Jordan McCoy 6-6 Sr. (2.0 ppg)
C Dragan Sekelja 7-0 Jr. (9.0 ppg)
Coach: Rick Ray
G Trivante Bloodman 6-0 So. (11.0 ppg)
G Fred Thomas 6.5 Fr. (4.0 ppg)
G Jalen Steele 6-3 Jr. (16.0 ppg)
F Colin Borchert 6-8 Jr. (7.0 ppg)
C Wendell Lewis 6-9 Sr. (3.0 ppg)