FAU guard Jackson Trapp starts at point guard and leads Owls to first victory of season over Coppin State.
Originally published on
Making his first career start, Florida Atlantic freshman point guard Jackson Trapp came up with one of the biggest plays of the game for the Owls in a 64-61 victory vs. Coppin State and it didn't have anything to do with his ability to distribute the ball.
With the Eagles mounting a furious comeback trailing just 63-61 after erasing a 25-point FAU lead Trapp stood his ground and took a charge with 11 seconds remaining to give the ball back to the Owls.
FAU guard Stefan Moody, who struggled as the starting point guard for the first two games of the season before coming off the bench as a shooting guard vs. Coppin State, made 1-of-2 free throws with nine seconds remaining to put the Owls up 64-61.
Coppin State (0-3) had a good look at a potential game-tying 3-pointer, but a desperation shot was off to give the Owls their first victory of the season at Alumni Gym in Elon, N.C.
Moody was 11-of-12 from the foul line and finished with 19 points,.
Trapp had 18 points and Jordan McCoy had 10 points for the Owls (1-2).
FAU led 33-8 at halftime, but was outscored 53-31 in the second half. Coppin State tied the game at 61 with less than a minute to play, but Moody made three out of four free throws the rest of the way.
Owl Analysis: FAU 64, Coppin State 61
- Moving Forward: Freshman G Stefan Moody and G Jackson Trapp combined for 37 points. ...G Greg Gantt led FAU with a career-high 11 rebounds and 4 assists. …F Kelvin Penn had 6 rebounds and 3 blocks off the bench.
- Moving Backward: The Owls had 18 turnovers. ...C Dragan Sekelja was 0-for-3 from the field and had 2 points. ...FAU was outrebounded 45-36
- Key Stat: The Eagles shot 9.4 percent from the field in the first half, but 51.5 percent after halftime.
- Up Next: FAU will face Elon in another Maui Invitational game on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. The Phoenix defeated Colgate 81-72 on Saturday.
Need To Knows: Owls @ Phoenix
FAU (1-2, 0-0 Sun Belt Conference)
vs. Elon (2-1, 0-0 Southern Conference)
EA Sports Maui Invitational
- About the Owls: This is the first meeting between Elon and FAU. ...FAU hasn't faced a team from the Southern Conference since the Owls lost to Davidson 76-60 in the fifth game under coach Mike Jarvis in 2008.
- About the Phoenix: F Lucas Troutman had 18 points and nine rebounds in Elon's 81-72 victory vs. Colgate on Saturday in the other Maui Invitational Regional game. ...After opening the season with a 74-59 loss to Butler, the Phoenix defeated Bridgewater and Colgate. ...Five Elon players are averaging in double figures.
- Projected Starting Lineups
Coach: Mike Jarvis
G Jackson Trapp 6-4 Fr. (8.0 ppg)
G Pablo Bertone 6-2 Jr. (7.3 ppg)
G Greg Gantt 6-2 Sr. (14.0 ppg)
F Jordan McCoy 6-6 Sr. (5.7 ppg)
C Dragan Sekelja 7-0 Jr. (4.7 ppg)
Coach: Matt Matheny
G Jack Isenbarger 6-2 Jr. (11.7 ppg)
G Sebastian Koch 6-8 Jr. (11.0 ppg)
G Austin Hamilton 5-10 So. (10.7 ppg)
F Ryley Beaumont 6-7 Jr. (11.7 ppg)
F Lucas Troutman 6-10 Jr. (14.0 ppg)